Foreign Travel Insurance Program

The California State University requires all employees who travel internationally on CSU business to use the Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) available through the California State University Risk Management Authority. 

For additional information, please review the following:


Foreign Travel Insurance is required for traveling faculty, staff, and students participating in university sponsored trips abroad. FTIP is intended for short-term use. For benefits to be covered, the employee must enroll himself/herself (or the group if employee is leading a class experience abroad) in the program 45 days prior to departure. Confirm, through links in other resources below, the destination is not a high hazard or war risk county. High Hazard requires campus Presidential approval. War risk requires Chancellor approval. Chancellor’s office approval is coordinated through the campus President’s office. Do not submit a request for foreign insurance until all required approvals are obtained and provided with the insurance request. In addition, the traveler must sign up for the U.S State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). The enrollment process is initiated by completing and submitting International Travel & Foreign Travel Insurance through smartsheet. Click here to submit. After submitting, employee must complete the travel request for international travel through Concur.

Upon notification by the insurance program’s underwriter that the Foreign Travel Insurance has been bound, the A/P Department will send the employee or group leader an electronic “Foreign Travel Assist” card to carry while traveling outside of the United States. In case of emergency, the card provides the employee with contact information on how to access the insurance benefits afforded under the FTIP program. This coverage includes, but is not limited to, the following:

  • General Liability
  • Medical Expense (covered medical expenses resulting from a covered accident or sickness)
  • Emergency Medical Benefits
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation
  • Repatriation of Remains Benefit
  • Excess Hired and non-owned Auto Liability
  • Foreign Workers’ Compensation
  • Travel Assistance Services (lost luggage, legal assistance, lost or stolen passport, consular assistance)

Coverage territory is anywhere in the world excluding the United States, its territories or possessions; the territorial waters of the United States, or those countries, jurisdictions and/or territories against which the government of the United States of America (including any department or subdivision thereof) administers and/or enforces economic and/or trade sanctions.


Other Resources

Confirm through the State Department Travel Warnings/Advisory the destination country is not a level 3 or higher. Level 3 or high requires Presidential approval. Do not submit a request for foreign insurance until Presidential approval is obtained and provided with the insurance request.